Home Google + Contact Facebook Pinterest YouTube
Proud Sponsor of The Tutor House!

Ideas for Homework Organization

During November 2012, I had a giveaway for a Paula Kluth book and asked people to tell me how they keep their students organized and on top of their assignments.  I was so impressed with the comments that I decided that they needed to be in a post all by themselves!  Thanks to those who took the extra step and left a comment.

There are many great apps out there for homework organization.  If you have students that have a smart phone, iTouch, iPad, etc. encourage them to try some of them out to help them keep track of their assignments.  I liked Home Work, available on Google Play or myHomework on iTunes.

What apps have you seen or tried that your students seem to really like or use frequently?  Do you think they are a distraction or helpful?

Here are some of the fantastic ideas that came inform of comments on the giveaway.  There are so many great ways to keep students on the ball and tame the beast!

"I have them keep a small folder where they can keep homework lists and other important paper." ~ Annonymous

"My students have an agenda that I encourage them to write in after each class. I do my part by keeping a homework blog for them, in case they are missing or forget what was assigned. One of the best things that I discovered a few years ago, was page protectors. I buy HUGE boxes at the beginning of the year. When they're working on something a little special, or that they don't want to get lost, they can take a page protector to keep their sheets/work in. I don't know how this is different than just snapping it in a binder, but it is. We also switched to "old school" scribblers this year (grade 7) away from binders. Can I say Godsend? Yes, we have to glue sheets in (or keep a small binder for handouts) but for daily work - what a difference!" ~ Krystal of Lessons from the Middle

"I put reminders on their bell work every day (hand in your homework, write down today's homework in your agenda) -- if I don't write it up there they don't seem to do :)" ~Taral

"My students have a binder with 2 different plastic sleeves. I help them to make sure they put their reading in the reading pocket and sight words in the other sleeves and the outside pockets are for notes, homework and corrected work." ~Cecilia

"When my students come in they fill out their agenda for the day. Their class assignments are in pencil and homework is written in pen in that particular subject. They also have color coded spirals that go in the same color folder for the subject. They can easily see if they have out the right materials and by copying their agenda they always know what will be covered for the day. It gives them something predictable and also teaches organization and study skills." ~Pamela Roundtree

"I am an education advocate so I use information from your site to make suggestions to teachers I work with about alternative strategies for working with children with different abilities." ~Diane

"I use a binder with different colored files, one for each subject. I also have "Sign here" stickies, the ones that offices use to show where signatures are required. If the "Sign here" sticky is sticking out on the side of the folder, my students know to hand in their assignment, otherwise they don't remember to hand in work that they've done." ~SinD

"At the beginning of the year, we give our students a homework folder that has a calendar for each week with room to write in their daily assignments and a space for their reading log and parent signature. We also provide them with plastic sleeves for their spelling list and other important papers. Our cubbies and desks are kept clean thanks to a visit from the desk fairy every once and a while ;)" ~Rhonda

"Our students are all using iPads this year. Each teacher has a website to post lesson notes, assignments, etc. They are also using Schoolology. Having one place to go to find everything keeps everyone on track. My autistic son uses the alarms on his iPad to help him prepare for transition from class to class." ~Moosie

"Each subject has its own folder and the assignment notebook is updated each day before leaving school. My daughter just got an iPad and I'm excited to learn how it can be used to help her in school!" ~ Lovin39

"I have them write daily assignments in notebook and require 3/5 signatures by parents per week. Keeps parents informed on homework assignments. I also post daily assignments on line for parents to see. At the end of each unit, I have kids pull all papers out of folders and organize for next unit." ~Patty

"I help my students remember by keeping an assignment log on the board, having students carry & complete an agenda daily, and by modeling these activities in my personal & professional life!" ~ Sandy

"Visual supports in their locker"~cbiksacky



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips