Home Google + Contact Facebook Pinterest YouTube
Proud Sponsor of The Tutor House!

Plan Day Sunday:A New Series Post

I recently asked my followers on Facebook if they thought it would be helpful to share my lesson plans for my students.  I got a resounding yes!  I didn't have time right in the moment to upload all of my plans, but I have been hanging onto them waiting to upload them.  The best part of having to wait was that I was able to take pictures of us while we were doing those activities.

I have three girl students this year and one boy.  I also do Homework Clinic Wednesdays and I never know for sure who will come to that.  Out of those four students, two of them are Algebra I students and the others are Elementary math students.

I have found it pretty useless to plan much for my Algebra/high school students because they usually just bring their homework and I reteach things then.  It's a fly by the seat of your pants kind of experience and surprisingly, I love it!

Now for my Elementary students, I have to make lots of plans for them.  They rarely bring school work and one of them has some attention issues, so we change activities about every 10-15 minutes.  I make a checklist of what we are going to do and then I let the students choose what we will do first.

With all that being said, let's jump into my lesson plans!!

Cutie Pie Math Student:  4th Grader

I have thoroughly been enjoying my copy of Daily Math Puzzlers from Laura Candler.  Such a time saver!  We did two pages of the puzzlers.  She is on level a.  I determined that by using Laura's free assessment.  You can also find free samples to try with your student on her website.

Then we played Number Guess, which is a game that came from the Family Math book.  This student is missing a lot basics and so I am trying to build up her foundation.

I also recently started using Laura's other math book Mastering Math Facts.  I wasn't too sure how it would work for a tutoring scenario, but I have found it to be helpful too!  I know that a lot of tutors are strapped for cash when it comes to buying supplies, but Laura's materials have saved me a lot of prep time these last few weeks and I am so thankful for her!  We played a game called Dog Pen in which she practiced her multiplication facts.

I usually fill the time if there is any left with DIY Jenga, multiplication war,  pyramid solitaire, or card games.

Cutie Pie Math Student: 2nd Grader

This is a brand new student to me.  She missed a lot of school last year due to some distressing situations in her home.  We spent the beginning of the tutoring session putting her fears to rest.  Her mom spent the entire hour there, which proved to be a total distraction in the long run.  I had her play DIY Jenga with me and I had written getting to know you answers on it.


Then I had her do a math assessment that I found for free on Math Mammoth.  I like their assessments because they are categorized by skills and then they give you a way of grading them so that you can identify the grade level they are on.  We didn't get very far in assessments because of mom being there and she was easily distracted.

I finished up tutoring by showing her how to play pyramid solitaire and I encouraged her to show her brother the game.

I didn't really plan on plugging Laura's products so much, but I am not joking-they are a serious time saver!!

2 comments:

  1. LOVE Math Mammoth! We are using it for full curriculum this year. Inexpensive, colorful illustrations, clear instructions and access to teacher/creator if we have any concerns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing Lisa! It is a super affordable program.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips