Home Google + Contact Facebook Pinterest YouTube
Proud Sponsor of The Tutor House!

Basketball Learning



A lot of my students don't want to just sit still and work on their subjects.  I try to get them up and moving because of the long day they have had a school.  Indoor basketball is perfect for this.  All you need is some Nerf basketball hoops.  They run about $5 at Walmart.  I get two.

You can download my March Madness Freebie or come up with your own ideas.  Here are some ways I have used it.  Cover the hoops backboards with paper to allow you to write on them.  I also have a March Madness Pinterest board.

Reading

Contractions:

Above the hoops, I write YES on one hoop and NO on another.  Then I have my student stand a fair distance away from the hoop.  I read outloud a contraction word and they decide if it's a contraction or not.  For example, I would say:  Wouldn't.  The student would throw the ball into the hoop that says YES.  Then I would read: Could not.  The student would throw the ball into the hoop that says NO.

Synonyms and Antonymns:

For synonyms, you would write SAME and DIFFERENT.  Read them a set of words.  For example, you say:  Enormous and Huge.  They throw it into same.  I think you get the drift.

Comprehension:

Above the hoops you could write BEGINNING and END.  Then read the student a part of a book you are reading together and ask if this happened at the beginning or the end.

Math

Even and Odd:

Above the hoops, I write EVEN and ODD.  You could just read numbers outloud and let them decide if it's odd or even.  To make a little more difficult, throw in solving problems like simple multiplication.  The throw the ball into an even or odd basket according to what the answer is.

More and Less:

Ask questions like:  Is -10 more or less than 5?  Is 6 more or less then 3?  If it's equal to, they could throw the ball in both hoops.

Positive and Negative:

Simple integer addition.  Is the answer positive or negative?

What ideas do you have for keeping your students active during tutoring?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips