Home Google + Contact Facebook Pinterest YouTube
Proud Sponsor of The Tutor House!

10 Ways to Supplement a Tutors Income


Getting your tutoring business off the ground and earning a decent income can be tough and wearing on your patience.  I totally get that!  Some years I have been super busy and then I have a year like last year where it was relatively quiet.

I wanted to give you some ideas for filling those gaps.  I am sure many of the tutors that read this blog would rather just have a full time teaching job.  My fear is for the teaching profession is all the major cuts will make it difficult for you to land a gig that's full time.  I won't go into that much more, because I know you are already stressed!

Here are my best ideas!  Feel free to add any other ways you have filled the gap in the comments area below.

1.  Substitute Teach

I know, I know...many of you already do this.  Don't leave this article yet!  This is a great way to get the word out as well about your own tutoring business.  When you finish filling in for a teacher, write them a kind note with your business card and or website information.

Did you ever think of filling in at local preschools, private schools, or day cares?  A lot of smaller schools don't have as much choice when it comes to finding a sub and a wonderful tutor like you may be just what they were looking for!

2.  Virtual Assistant

Some of you may know this and probably most of you don't, but I also am a Virtual Assistant!  I kind of fell into it through blogging.  Laura Candler was looking for some help for her website, I applied and she hired me.  It has been a great job because it can be done any time of the day.  I don't have to abandon my family and I can still tutor.

There are thousands of opportunities just like this out there.  Think of all the bloggers, publishers, marketers, web designers that are small business and need the help of someone just like you.  Tasks as simple as checking email, handling phone calls, or even proofreading could be done by you.

One of my favorite posts about this came from Blogging with Amy.  She shares more about hiring a Virtual Assistant and/or becoming one.  Read more about it here and here.

3.  Design Clip Art

Do you have a artistic side?  Do find yourself drawing some pretty amazing doodles?  Maybe you should consider making clip art.  This industry is just getting started.  Do a little research yourself on Teachers Pay Teachers and hunt for clip art.  Even though there is thousands of clip art sets, each person has such a unique style...your eye for design maybe the next big thing!

I know I am always on the hunt for great clip art.  I often find myself messaging people to see if I can find just the right thing.  You don't even have to sell on TpT, you could sell on Etsy, Scrappin' Doodles, My Grafico, or create your very own store.

Seriously, if you are good artist...let me know!  I probably have some needs in the ways of clip art.  I could give you tons of ideas.

4.  Create for TpT

I know that because you are a tutor, you are a very creative and resourceful teacher.  Have you ever thought of joining TpT and creating materials to sell?  Look at this free tutorial from Teacher Tam, she'll show you how to get started right.  Heather of HoJo's Teaching Adventures has an awesome Pinterest board full of creating goodies on TpT.

5.  Photography

Do you take great photos?  Try your hand at becoming a professional photographer.  Start out by taking photos of your friends.  Upload them to a site and start promoting your services there as well.  Here is a great tutorial about running a photography business.  I like her real perspective on it too.

6.  Piano/ Music Lessons

I am sure if you are musical, this has occurred to you before.  But I actually wanted to take a minute and introduce you to site that is similar to mine, but she shows you how to run a music lesson business.  She is so talented!  Color in My Piano has a ton of resources.  If you are not interested in it, maybe you know someone who is-pass her site along!

7.  Summer Camps

You can either run your own summer camp or apply for jobs as a director.  Last summer I did my first summer camp and I loved it.  There's a lot of potential there to make a significant amount of cash during those summer months.  Next month I plan to spend a lot of time talking about this very subject...so stay tuned!

8.  Window Painting Business

Here I go with artsy stuff again!  Businesses still need people to help dress up their store fronts.  If you have those special painting talents, you should consider starting a business like this.  The hours are flexible, but also dependent on weather.  E-How has an awesome article that goes into further depth about starting it up.

About.com also weighed in on this idea.  Read more about it here.





9.  Errand Runner/Assistant for the Elderly

When my grandmother in-laws health was getting worse, they sought out people that could come in and help care for her.  The lady the hired would go grocery shopping for her, pick up her mail, and walk the dog.  All very simple things.  If you have the patience and kind heart for this kind of work, I know it has to be in high demand.  It was hard for my in-laws to find the right person for the right price.

Having a helper for grandma brought a lot of relief to my mother in-law and all of us.  It allowed her to live on her own for as long as possible and enjoy her independence.

10.  Sewing/Alteration Services

This is a lost art!  Not many people know how to sew these days but need someone to help them with hemming pants, shortening drapes, making custom pillows, etc.  The youth group I work with sure needs someone like this to help them alter prom dresses to be more modest.  This business would grow like a tutoring business and clients would most likely come by word of mouth.

6 comments:

  1. Work PT at a tutoring center.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing this. I agree with the above comment about working at a tutoring center. One of the Bay Area tutors that we got for my brother was doing the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great article! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to add a few suggestions (if that's alright).
    - Offer an after school prgoram as a contract instructor for the local parks and recreation department(s). They are always looking for good teachers. You could teach drama, do group tutoring, even have a 10 week Harry Potter program.
    - Tutor online via Skype or for one of the many online tutoring companies.
    - Tutor or teach homeschoolers.
    - Teach a class for a charter school.
    - If you're crafty sell your goods on Etsy.com
    - Your crafts could also be sold locally by renting space at craft fairs, framer's markets or swap meets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I supplement my own tutoring income with tutoring I do through agencies. If you join enough of them, you're bound to have a steady flow of tutoring jobs (except in the summer, unfortunately).

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a great idea Jared. Summers are a tough time to tutor. I think doing summer camps is a great way to go and also allows you to have a change of scenery.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips