Home Google + Contact Facebook Pinterest YouTube
Proud Sponsor of The Tutor House!

Reading Ideas for Frustrated Parents

Image Source for Cartoon

As a tutor, I've heard the excuses about reading with your child each night from parents.  

"We just don't have enough time."
 "She just fights me!"  
"It's too overwhelming for us."

My family has the same struggles too!  I wanted a hand out that I could give parents when I hear these excuses from frustrated parents and to help remind my own family that reading is supposed to be fun!  I went to the Just for Tutors group on Facebook and brainstormed with all of them on ideas for reading.  We came up with one amazing list!

What parents don't realize is that 90% of it is just making it a habit!  No nagging, arguing, or the likes of this when it comes to reading.  It may take weeks of modeling reading before your child will budge on their end.  The child is testing you to see where the limit is when it comes to reading.  Even if your child has a learning disability, you still need to be reading to them each night, any type of reading helps! (Okay, I am starting to climb on a soap box instead of just sharing with you!  This topic really gets me going these days...)

The key to success with kids?  Lighten up!  Have some fun and make reading a useful, delightful experience for everyone involved.

You can download our list of ideas for free right here and find more goodies below!  We've come up with links and resources galore for you to look at, to pin, bookmark, and save so that you are prepared when the excuses start rolling in from parents, students, or yourself. {wink}


Reading Ideas for Parents
$0.00

Why can't you skip reading every night?  It adds up!  Look at these statistics....

image source
Primary Junction made this awesome printable with different ideas for building a reader at home.  She has an entire set of printables about reading.  You could pair with our printable and really have loads of ideas!  Click here to download.


Here are some fantastic posts from This Reading Mama:

How to Plan for a Reluctant Reader
Struggling Reader Series:  10 Things Struggling Readers Need
Teaching Spelling through Word Study
Sight Words When They Just Don't Stick


3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing my handout! I'm so glad you like it! :-)

    Kayla
    Primary Junction

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing my links! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so welcome Becky and Kayla! Sharing is caring. Thank you for making fantastic resources.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips