Home Google + Contact Facebook Pinterest YouTube
Proud Sponsor of The Tutor House!

How a Tutor Nourishes Her Own Children in Learning to Read

Over the years, various people have asked me how I teach my children to read.  As a tutor, I know that having a strong phonics background helps growing readers bloom as well as waiting until the timing is right.  Just like growing a plant, the conditions have to be just right.

Sunlight

Sun is needed to grow seeds.  With just the right amount of light a little seed will begin to germinate.  As my children grow and develop, I watch for glimmers of light that tell me they are ready to read.  They begin to take notice of text and that it means something.  For example, a friend of mine told me a cute story about her toddler son.  He picked up a jar of hummus; put his fingers to the label and read the label to her, "This...is...yucky."  He is starting to understand that these letters have meaning!

Another glimmer I watch for is an excitement to sit and read with you each night.  They crave that closeness that reading brings.  If your child isn't excited about you reading to them, get creative!  Sneak it in.  Read them menus, instructions to games, recipes, signs as you drive, etc.  The more print your child is exposed to, the more light will enter their mind preparing them to read.

With all my boys, it has been a similar pattern.  Around 4 and a half, they want to learn to read!  They are bringing me different books and pointing to the words.  "What does this say Mommy?"  It's so important to watch for the light of reading.  Timing is everything.

Watering Schedule

As with light, all seeds need a watering schedule.  I do my best to get a reading schedule with my children where we work one on one with their reading lessons.  We work five times a week, but always read every day even if they are just listening.  Diligence is key to growing a confident reader.

Nutrient Rich Soil

A hearty seedling needs nutrient rich soil.  I carefully select books that I know are age appropriate, focus on a skill we worked on that week, and have lots of variety.  We read little books, leveled books, BOB books, magazines, and even the scriptures.  My middle child learned to read mostly from the scriptures.  He did amazing at attacking giant words.

Here are some of my recommendations for reading materials:



Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Lessons by Siegfried Engelmann

BOB Books by Scholastic

BOB Books Free Learning Games by This Reading Mama

Reading the Alphabet by This Reading Mama

The development of lessons in Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Lessons corresponds well with the order in which BOB Books are numbered. Basically, we do a quick 10 minute lesson.  Then read a BOB book.  If my son is still interested, we will do some of the learning games that I have from This Reading Mama.  If he isn't interested, I'll wait until later in the day to do the games.  It's been a great mixture of activities!

In Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Lessons, it has the child practice writing.  My youngest has a much shorter attention span than his brothers.  I decided to let him use the tablet to do a letter writing app.  We use a special pen that works with the tablet.

How do you teach your children to read?

4 comments:

  1. Great post! We started at about 3 1/2 as my son was pointing to the letters on his Tonka and saying "that says 'truck'".
    We also have followed the 100 easy lessons but split the lessons in half due to attention span. I love the progression and teaching methods in 100 easy lessons. The fact that they learn sounds, sentence composition, writing, comprehension, rhyming and other valuable skills all in one makes it our favorite. It is also easy to follow (no prep from me!) and inexpensive!
    We had a fun game that we played when he was first learning sounds- I drew a "parking lot" on a poster board and labeled each stall with a sound (following the 100 easy lessons method). I would call out a sound and he would drive and park his toy car there.
    Now, at 5, he is also in a preschool program using Rusty and Rosy from Waterford Institute. It is a computer program that we really love as it gives a full reading, math and science lesson in 35 minutes daily with the emphasis on reading. It's teaching him some additional skills like spelling and changing words by changing sounds. If anyone is interested, it is available free of cost through the UPSTART program in Utah although you do need to preregister well ahead of your child entering kindergarten. You can do so at their website.
    We go at his pace which is slower in reading than math. I used to get hung up on the fact that we still aren't finished with 100 easy lessons 1 1/2 years later but we are on his schedule, not a book's :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the analogy of nurturing...like a garden. My favorite thing to do with my kids! Reading! (And coloring) I love to color -ha :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ashley and April! I love the parking lot idea Ashley!! I am definitely going to do that with my son. He'll love that. I recently ended up adding a chart with rewards are various intervals to help keep him motivated. I seriously have never finished the book with any of my boys in less than a year. The child's pace is all that matters!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We did Bob Books followed by Oxford Reading Tree with the Graded Reader adventures of Biff, Skip and Kipper. ("Oh no!)

    From there we moved on to Ricky Ricotta (Dave Pilkey), Captain Underpants (again Dave Pilkey)

    then Magic Tree House and beyond.

    My dd didn't like Dave Pilkey, which I think particularly appeals to boys, but she liked everything else.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips