POST UPDATE: 11/14/13--Sittercity.com is no longer providing profiles for tutors. Don't be sad! That is a good thing. What this tells us is they realized that the amount of people searching for tutors through their site were low. You can see the announcement here. So no need to keep a profile active over there!
I would encourage you to try out TutorsNirvana.com and set up a tutor profile over there. It does cost you a subscription, but they work actively to bring traffic to the site which helps all tutors listed there! Also, consider setting up your own website.
SWEET SITES:
I got the kindest email one day from Meg. She wrote to tell me more about some of the sites she has had success with in finding students. She used Sittercity.com and Care.com to find students. I had heard of Care.com years and years ago when I started, but they were not popular site in my home town. I didn't do anything with them, but hearing Meg talk about them reawakened me to them.
I did a little research on both sites and was excited to see the potential there for all the tutors I know! Meg was kind enough to let me interview her about her experience with these sites. You are a sweetie Meg!
TH: Tell us a little about how you started tutoring students:
Meg: "I started helping out my neighbors daughter ( on a volunteer basis) during two consecutive summers when she had a homework packet due and it was only 2 weeks till the end of summer. Her mom was going through a divorce and needed help.
In March of 2012 I decided that I wanted to attempt tutoring. I researched some on-line sites and asked co-workers for advice. Some of my friends were satisfied with Care.com, so that is the first site I registered with."TH: What subjects do you tutor?
Meg:"I tutor K-5, SPED as well. I am a SPED paraprofessional ( 9 years ). I have worked with Autistic children, emotionally disturbed, learning disabled, intellectually deficient, ADHD and at my job I have conducted intervention groups for reading and math."TH: How did you find Care.com and Sittercity.com?
Meg:"I found Sittercity.com and Care.com by simply doing an internet search."TH: How long did it take before people started contacting you?
Meg: "I think it may have been about a month."TH: What are some of the pros and cons to listing your tutoring service on Care.com and Sittercity.com?
Meg: "I personally like Care.com and Sittercity.com because you write your own profile describing yourself, your teaching strategies and then prospective clients can view your profile and contact you through those sites. You also put in a mile radius as to how far you are willing to travel and your available times. When someone is looking for a tutor, you get an email telling you there is one that meets your criteria and it is up to you to apply or not. I am not wild about Wyzant because I do not like the commission part of it."*Totally with you there Meg!
TH: What recommendations do you have for other tutors considering joining Care.com and Sittercity.com?
Meg: "I would recommend Care.com first then Sittercity.com."TH: What is a typical tutoring schedule like for you?
Meg: "I have 8 students as of now. Mon. 4 to 5, 5:30 to 6:30.
Tues. 5 to 6
Wed. 5:30 to 6:30
Thurs. 4 to 5
Sat. 10 to 11, 11:30 to 12:30 and 1:30 to 2:30
Sun. 9:45 to 10:45 , 11 to 12, and 1 to 2:30
I work 8:30 to 3:30 M-F at my school."Whew! That is one intense tutoring schedule. Thank you for doing the special work you do each day! If you have ideas for finding more students, please leave them here in the comments or shoot me an email!

Hi,
ReplyDeleteI am looking into tutoring and went to Care.com. On the site you need to specify what type of care you can provide (child care, special needs etc.) I was wondering what category you put tutoring in?
Hmmm....there should be a tutoring category. When I set mine up there was one. Make sure you clicked the little button that says, "Apply for Care Jobs". Then a different set of categories show up and I see tutor in there. This is the very first step when you are setting up your account. Hope that helps!
ReplyDeleteI went into Sittercity after not hearing from them for a while, and there seems to be a problem with their website. I can find nothing about tutoring or log in as a tutor. Anyone know what is happening there?
ReplyDeleteOh no! It looks like they have gotten rid of their tutor services. I am guessing that they are focusing in on nanny and babysitting as their main services. I will update this post. Thank you for commenting and letting me know. I really appreciate it.
ReplyDeleteHere is a new comment about tutoring from their site.
https://support.sittercity.com/entries/28491417-Update-to-our-site-Housekeepers-and-Tutors
I run a similar site for tutor listings that readers might be interested in:
ReplyDeletehttp://www.theknowledgeroundtable.com/tutoring/become-a-tutor/
We currently have about 100 tutors and are adding several more every day.
My son taking online tutoring by tutorpace.com since last 1 year .its really best site for tutoring .
ReplyDelete